For Parents

How do I find the contact details of my local IAS Service?

There should be an IAS Service in every local authority. To find out your nearest IAS Service you must first know which local authority you live in - if you don't know this you can find out by clicking here. Once you've found this out, or if you knew it already, you can click on find your local IAS Service to get full contact details of your local service.

Back to Top

How do I find out who my local authority is?

The name of your local authority will be on your council tax bill, and it should be on the signs outside your local schools, libraries, swimming pools etc. If you are unsure who your local authority is you can visit the GOV.UK website to find out.

Back to Top

My child goes to school in a different local authority to the one we live in, which IAS Service should I contact?

To begin with you should contact the IAS Service in the local authority in which you live.

Back to Top

I think my child might have some special educational needs although the school haven’t said anything, will my local IAS Service help me?

Yes, your local IAS Service will be happy to discuss your situation further.

Back to Top

I’ve looked at the details for my local IAS Service and their address is the same as the local authority, are they impartial?

As statutory services (ones that have to be provided by law) IAS Services are all funded by their local authority (LA). However they are all expected to be at 'arms length' of the local authority and to provide impartial information, advice and support to children, young people and parents.

Some IAS Services are based outside of the LA with local charities/organisations, some are based in LA's but in their own buildings, while others may share offices with other LA services such as schools, children's centres, support services etc. Having the same address as your local authority does not mean that they will not be able to provide an impartial service. However, if you have concerns about your IAS Service the best thing to do is to phone them and ask how they make sure that their service is impartial. 

Guidelines on the Government's expectations of good practice in the provision of impartial IAS Services can be found here:

Minimum Standards for Services Providing Impartial Information, Advice and Support