On the 14th July 2021, CDC ran a national virtual event for SEND Leads, DCO/DMOs/DSCOs, Children's Health Commissioners and regional parent carer forum representatives from across the country. The aim of the event was to update the sector, share knowledge and best pratice and learn from each other. The main plenary session consisted of:
- An introduction from Dame Christine Lenehan, Director at CDC, on looking ahead; what does the current policy context mean for SEND?;
- A presentation from Nick Whittaker, HMI & Specilaist Adviser SEND at Ofsted, on the Ofsted report 'SEND: old issues, new issues, next steps';
- An update from Lorraine Mulroney, National Specialist Adviser for SEND at NHSE/I on the new SEND team;
- An interactive polling session led by CDC;
- A presentation from Anna Gardiner, Assistant Director- Health at CDC, on workforce development in the virtual world.
You can view the main session here.
Attendees at the event were given the opportunity to attend 2x workshops on variety of topics. Please find the workshop recordings below:
- A special approach to making it REAL: Come and find out more about how the Early Childhood Unit supported over 500 families with children with SEND in the north west during February and March 2021.
- Bloom: Helping young people in Cornwall to thrive.
- The EYSEND Partnership: Improving access and inclusion in the Early Years.
- SENDIASS and health, including a look at joint commissioning, transforming care, keyworking pilots and a preview of our CETR/DSR e-learning.
- The power of peer support: Exploring CDC's Expert Parent Programme.
- How the pandemic has enabled innovation in developing hearing checks for children with learning disability and those who are autistic.
- Developing self-compassion in the SEND workforce.
- School non-attendance among UK autistic children and adolescents.
- Preparing for Adulthood from the Earliest Years (PFAEY).
- Understanding the Liberty Protection Safeguards (LPS) for young people with SEND.
- An introduction to the AANT: Analysis of Additional Needs Tool. This workshop was not recorded, but you can find links to a video about the tool here. There is also a video about the Early Years AANT here.